Biography - Robert Ross|
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
Retained for custom residential design projects throughout the United States,
Robert Ross has become increasingly well known for his deft blending of
traditional and contemporary design. He is perhaps most widely recognized for
his ability to create dramatic, light-filled spaces that are both
intimate and comfortable.
His ability to bring light and privacy into typically dark spaces, as well as
his ability to direct views to maintain privacy makes each of his projects
unique. Ross is also known for innovative specialty detailing of cabinetry,
trim and stairways.
A resident of Atlanta since 1977, Ross enjoyed watching the continuing transformation of the
growing city from a
regional to international metropolis. Building and urban design have fascinated
Ross his entire life. His quest for an urban experience led him to study at the
Georgia Institute of Technology where he obtained a Bachelor of Science
with a major in Architecture in 1981. He continued his graduate studies at
Georgia Tech with an emphasis on history and urban design. Since 1992 he has
resided in one of Atlanta’s original historic Trolley neighborhoods, Ormewood Park.
Prior to founding Ross Design, Ross was a Partner with Architectural Design Concepts
(ADC). He was hired as a graduate student in 1984 and rose from student intern
to Design Partner. At ADC, several of his projects were recognized with awards
from Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles magazine and The Southeast Builders
Conference Aurora. His work has also been frequently published in Atlanta
Homes and Lifestyles, Better Homes and Gardens and other major
- Georgia Institute of Technology, BS Architectural Design, Atlanta, Georgia, 1981.
- Georgia Institute of Technology, graduate studies, 1984 - 1988, emphasis in Design,
- Architectural History and Urban Design Theory.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS:
- SouthStar Community Development Corporation.
- Advisory Board Member, 2003 to present.
- Board Director, 2002 - 2003.
- Founding President, 1997 - 2001.
- Atlanta MicroFund, Board Director 2002 to present.
- South Atlantans for Neighborhood Development (SAND), active member since 1994.
- Past Chairman of the SAND Tour of Homes Committee, 1999 and 2000; Co-Chair in 2001.
- Neighborhood Planning Unit W - Represented SAND, 1997, 1998 and 1999.
- Chair NPU Transportation Committee, 1998 and 1999.
In his spare time, he enjoys theater, gardening, reading and
the never-ending remodeling of his home. He and his partner attend All Saint's
Episcopal Church where their sons Daniel and David are enrolled in the Children's Center.